Sunday, September 9, 2012

Update from this week

As you may or may not have heard, I had to stay overnight at the hospital on Wednesday.  I had gone to my regular check up at 11am Wednesday morning and mentioned to the doctor I'd been having some tightening in my stomach occasionally but it never hurt and only happened randomly.  She suggested I go to the hospital to get monitored for an hour or so just to make sure everything was okay.

Once I was at the hospital, they hooked me up to machines to monitor each heartbeat and contractions.  Apparently I was having contractions 2 minutes apart even though I had no idea.  In hopes of stopping or at least slowing down the contractions, they hooked me up to an IV and quickly gave me 2 bags of fluids.

Unfortunately, the fluids didn't seem to help slow down the contractions so then they gave me Procardia which is actually a medication for high blood pressure but is known to help stop/slow down contractions.  The Procardia didn't seem to help much so then they did an ultrasound to check my cervix and run a Fetal Fibronectin test.  They told me it was really important for this test to come back negative.  The test did come back negative which means I have a less than 1% chance to go into labor within the next 2 weeks.

My doctor decided she still wanted me to stay in the hospital that night to get monitored even though the Fetal Fibronectin test came back negative.  My contractions seemed to slow down overnight with a little rest (although I didn't seem to sleep much at all that night!) so I was able to come home early Thursday morning.

I will continue to have contractions until I deliver and will keep taking the Procardia to keep them under control.  The doctor did not put me on bed rest but I am on house arrest which means she just wants to stay at home and take it easy for awhile.  I'm still able to work from home though which help me not to get so bored!

I go to the high risk doctor on Wednesday so hopefully he says everything still looks okay.  I will update again after that appointment.

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...